French Immersion Program
Ce site nous donne accès à des ressources pour les enseignants, parents et étudiants du programme d'immersion et de langue seconde.
French Immersion programming provides students with the opportunity to acquire or maintain proficiency in French. Students enrolled in French Immersion at Edmonton Public Schools receive 100% of their instruction in French in Kindergarten, Grade 1 and part of Grade 2. Students begin formal English Language Arts instruction in January of Grade 2, and continue to receive English Language Arts in Grades 3 to 12. French is the language of instruction in many subjects throughout a child's schooling in the French Immersion program.
Late French Immersion is also available starting in Grade 7 for students with no previous knowledge of French. Information about the Late French Immersion program is available at
French Immersion programming within Edmonton Public Schools
Cogito is a knowledge-based program with clearly defined standards of achievement and measurable learning objectives. Cogito is dedicated to helping average students maximize their academic potential. Cogito (ko-gi-to) is Latin for I reason. The program provides a Classic Liberal Arts Education and is designed for the student who is willing to work to achieve a high level of academic excellence in a knowledge-based program, and in a teacher-directed atmosphere of structured and sequenced learning. Critical thinking is stressed. Students work in an environment that promotes self-discipline.
The unique program characteristics include:
- Enriched core curriculum
- Sequenced knowledge content, with emphasis on mastery learning
- Focus on attention and increased concentration
- Early literacy developed through explicit phonics instruction
- Explicit spelling and grammar instruction
- Strong mental and written math skill development that emphasizes computational and problem solving skills
- Teachers oriented to a classical approach
- Direct, whole group instruction
- Strong work-ethic expected
- Regular homework required
- Committed parental support
Please visit the Edmonton Public Schools Cogito Alternative Program web site at: http://cogito.epsb.ca/ for helpful program information, including Cogito registration forms.