School councils are collective associations of parents, teachers, secondary students, principals, staff and community representatives who work together to effectively support and enhance student learning. Joining a school council is one way members of the school community can get involved. School councils play an important role by providing advice and assistance to school principals and Trustees regarding educational issues. Involvement on these councils includes:
• focusing on educational matters
• providing input on topics such as program planning, school budgets and school operations
• serving as a liaison between parents, the school and community groups
• locating resources such as speakers and volunteers
• gathering information and sharing experiences
• supporting the goals and objectives of the school
Information about council meetings and activities are posted on our school website. Parents may request copies of meeting minutes by contacting the school office.
Richard Secord Parent Association (RSPA)
The RSPA organizes fundraising events which require licensing, such as casinos.
All parents or guardians of students attending Richard Secord are invited to
participate in RSPA activities.
Parent and community volunteers contribute many hours of time, energy, and talent for the benefit of students and the school. Many of the programs and events available to Richard Secord students would otherwise not be available if it were not for dedicated school volunteers. There is no shortage of opportunities for volunteers to contribute to the education provided to our students.Benefits
• flexible scheduling
• on-going and one-time volunteer opportunities available
• no special skills required
• on-the-job training provided
• working directly or indirectly with students or staff in a variety of areas
Volunteers need to sign-in at the school office on arrival, as office staff must account for all individuals in the school in an emergency. Please note: Pre-school aged siblings cannot be accommodated in classrooms, student learning areas or in the school workroom to ensure their safety and to
minimize disruptions to student learning.
• special events
• school council events
• Richard Secord Parents’ Association (RSPA) Casino