At École Richard Secord School, we believe that the quality of education is enhanced when home and school have a strong relationship. Our relationship relies on open and ongoing communication. The school handbook, school web site, regular school and classroom newsletters, conferences, and personal contact are designed to assist parents in understanding our school context. Contact with the school and inquiries are encouraged and always welcome.
École Richard Secord School is pleased to offer parents and their children a choice of three quality programs: Regular English; French Immersion; and Cogito Alternative. All three programs are enhanced by second language programming in either French or Spanish. Cogito's policy of offering a second language beginning in Grade One enjoys an enriched environment at École Richard Secord School, an established French Immersion program site within Edmonton Public Schools. Our school has a reputation for excellence, and for making new students and their families feel welcome. We look forward to continuing in those traditions.
École Richard Secord School is an outstanding educational facility. Some key aspects that create a strong foundation for our work include:
- An instructional focus on reading and writing that permeates classrooms, our library and our daily life in the school;
- An emphasis on learning a second language, both French and Spanish, and the celebration of the diversity of cultures that enrich our learning environment;
- A welcoming and friendly school community that prides itself on ensuring that children are respected, valued, and cared for, and that they receive a quality education;
- A strong professional staff team that has benefited for the past forty-one years from working together, regardless of program or grade level;
- An overall school philosophy that believes that all children can be successful and that as adults in this community, it is our responsibility to see that they have this opportunity;
- Activities in our school are important for the well-being, growth and development of children.
I feel honoured to be able to work with Richard Secord students, staff, parents, and community. We all play an important role in the success of our students and our school. Shared goals and high standards for academic achievement and personal conduct help our students to excel. I welcome contact with parents and community, and am interested in hearing your questions, concerns, and observations.
Kathleen Marzolf, Principal